If you’ve read my book on how to make money writing, maybe coaching is your next step.
I learned how to make money writing by working with a coach. For me, that was ideal because I’m an eager student, do all my homework without complaining or excuses, and thrive on checking stuff off lists and getting a pat on the back while watching results unfold before my eyes.
The thing with coaching is that there’s no guarantee. There’s risk involved. I’ve gone through coaching programs where I made my money back – and then some (that’s the whole freelance writing thing!), and coaching programs where despite doing everything I was assigned, I never made a cent (that was an Internet marketing program that’s not around any more).
What seemed to work well in the coaching program that worked for me:
- Reading assignments – some writing-related, some more about business in general, some for mindset
- Step-by-step instruction
- Weekly calls, which gave accountability – no way, no how was I showing up with an excuse instead of a “Yes, I did that.”
- The ability to get feedback on my writing samples, proposals, and pricing
- Email support between coaching sessions
Over the years it’s been nearly impossible for writers to hire me as a coach. To be honest, it had a lot to do with feeling too comfortable as an introvert to want to spend time on the phone with a coaching student. Weird, right?
I’m over it.
But with a very busy schedule, I’m only going to be able to take a few students at a time.
I’ve created three coaching packages. They probably need cute names, but we’ll go with Silver, Gold, and Platinum for now. (Thought about maybe Nutella, Bacon, and Boone Lake… but that’s just weird.)
- 6 weeks (we can be flexible)
- Weekly calls 30 minutes each
- PDF of my book Working Writer, Happy Writer: How to Build a Thriving Writing Business from NOTHING
- Portfolio creation and/or review – We’ll work together to get your portfolio up to snuff. This makes it easier to send samples to your prospects and gives you experience in the most commonly-ordered writing projects.
- Guru plan and review – We’ll get you set up on Guru and go through the process of bidding on projects there.
- Freelance Writers Bootcamp access – You get this FREE with your coaching package (reg. $297)
- Reading list – I will share a list of the most influential books my coaches have assigned to me. Some have revolutionized my business, others have had an enormous impact on my mental game.
- Your investment: $500
- Silver package, plus…
- Writer website review – We’ll go through your writing business website, polish and tighten, and create a plan for helping make it work for you.
- PDF of my book Sue LaPointe’s Guide to Building Your Business Online
- Direct mail campaign planning – We’ll work together to create a DM campaign to build your client base.
- Barter campaign planning – We’ll work together to create a bartering plan you can use to build your client base and get stuff you’d rather not pay for.
- Secret pack of templates and bonuses I’ve created for other programs.
- Your investment: $750
- Gold package, plus…
- Your weekly calls will be 45 minutes instead of 30
- We will build your writing business website from scratch.
- Your investment: $1,000
Please include a note when you pay by PayPal to give me your phone number and the email address you want me to use to contact you. I’ll be in touch ASAP and we’ll schedule your first call then.